Sunday, May 9, 2010

Garden #2 - BDG holds a special say for interns

Oh my....... I just looked at the date of my last posting.... been a while since I touched base with you all..... where's the time gone?  I've been so busy!  The good kind of busy...... busy at work, busy with things to do in my own garden and busy with other family happenings..... my days are full and happy ones, so not complaining!

And what about my MG stuff?  It continues to hum along.  Working on completing one garden and one clinic assignment per month, and so far, things are just dandy.   Yesterday I attended my second garden activity - the Bellevue Demo Garden (BDG) held a special day for interns.  Educational and great fun!

The garden opened as usual at 9:00am, with many MGs arriving to tend to their assigned beds....



I spent some time helping in the Shade Garden...... just look at this Solomon's Seal (Polygonatum odoratum)... rear, and False Solomon's Deal (Smilacina racemosa) in the foreground..... spectacular! 



(On a side note..... I recently purchased two 1 gallon pots of Solomon's Seal for my own garden.... two beautiful fronds, each with that lovely row of pretty flowers hanging down..... they're now all safely planted in what I hope will be an ideal spot for them.  Anyone know how long it'll be before I'll go from two fronds to a spectacular show like this one?)

Back to the BDG...... after about an hour of digging in, the first year interns were invited to take part in a detailed tour of the garden.   Bonnie Nordgren, Assistant Leader for the BDG, and Education Leader, did the honors, giving us some history about the garden and then walking us through each and every area, telling us interesting facts and stories along the way. 

We then attended a very informative workshop on water gardens.  There's certainly more to it than meets the eye.  So, when you see a beautiful, well maintained pond or water feature in someone's garden, just know that it took a lot of time, effort and $$ to create it, and consistent ongoing care to keep it that way.  Didn't realise how much was involved...... my hats off to those that are willing to jump in and do it.



After the workshop we returned to the main garden to participate in a scavenger hunt.  A chance to meet our assigned BDG mentors, team up with some fellow interns and continue learning.  We had a series of 20+ garden-related questions/riddles to solve, each leading us to a different part of the garden and an envelope with yet another clue.  Very creative way to get folks networking, engaged and learning more about the garden.

All that exploring worked up quite an appetite!  Time for lunch!    Each BDG member contributed a pot luck item and helped serve up all the goodies.  My, what a spread. Not only do we have very knowledgeable MGers here, but talented cooks too!


Yum!
 


As lunch concluded, we each took a moment to introduce someone else in the group, from all the BDGers to us first year interns.   To finish things off.....see those potted plants down the center of the table?  Each one was a take home gift for a first year intern..... what a thoughtful and lovely idea! 

On behalf of all of us first year interns..... I'd just like to say THANK YOU to each and every member of the BDG team for putting on such a wonderful event.  You clearly went out of your way to make each and every one of us feel welcome.  Such attention to detail.......you even arranged for a gorgeous, warm, sunny, blue-sky day!    Hats off and a big round of applause to all!

No comments: